EASTER!! Do you celebrate it? Do you love it? I do! It brings back good memories. My Nani loved Easter, it was her favorite holiday. We would go to church, and cook…A LOT. She used to make these amazing little basket cookies with a hard boiled egg inside…I wanted to make them for you all but I just couldn’t this time. Since I am on Whole 30 it would be too difficult to make them, because I cant eat them. Not to sound like a total lame…but I don’t really have many friends where I live right now…so it’s not like being back home where I could call up all my friends and be like “hey come try this”. So, that is going to have to wait until next year. She would also make cake in the shape of a lamb lol, ham of course…just a ton of different things. My grandparents gave us little Easter baskets even as adults…they are too cute. My Nani passed away in 2009, but my Poppy is still alive. I don’t know what I would do without him, he is the sweetest most amazing person, EVERYONE just loves him to pieces!! I’m definitely missing my family this Easter. With my husband gone, and my family far away, and the couple people I do know here are going back to the states for the holiday…so it’s just me and the kids. It’s ok though, we will make the best of it! They will have fun doing Easter Egg hunts and checking out their basket! What are YOUR Easter Holiday traditions??
Anyway…on to my deviled eggs. I guess I am a little bored of plain old deviled eggs? This low carb and paleo lifestyle will do that to ya lol. So I made these Tuna Deviled Eggs once, and surprisingly they are pretty popular especially on my Pinterest! This time I went with the smoked salmon deviled egg…they were yummy! Let me say this…I made these Whole 30 friendly. If I wasn’t on Whole 30 I would have added some cream cheese to the yolk mixture, and played a little on the bagel/lachs or “lox”/cream cheese thing. That used to be my FAVORITE, but I haven’t had a bagel in over 2 years. With that said….please see the below for the recipe!
As always, tag me on any of the creations you make from my site! I love to see how YOU make it! You can also hash tag me #FoodIMakeMySoldier on Instagram!
- 4 Hard Boiled Eggs (Directions for the perfect egg below)
- 1 Tbsp Homemade Mayo (Recipe also below)
- Dash of Salt and Pepper
- 1 piece Smoked Salmon or Lox
- 1 cup LIGHT olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- dash of salt and pepper
- Emulsion Blender
- First you want to hard boil your eggs. I know there are SEVERAL ways to do this, and I think I have tried them all...but I like this way the best.
- Fill a pot with water and 1 Tbsp baking soda and add your eggs.
- Cook for 20 minutes, then remove into a bowl with ice water. Let them sit in the ice water for 3 minutes, then dry them off. I normally store in the fridge at this point, but you can make the deviled eggs whenever.
- The egg shell should peel off very easily. Just be gentle with it, and they should turn out perfect!
- Cut your eggs in half, and remove the yolk into a bowl.
- Mix the yolk with mayo, salt and pepper. Cut 1/2 of your piece of salmon into tiny pieces, and stir them in the mixture.
- Pipe or spoon the mixture back into the egg white, and top with another small piece of salmon.
- You can sprinkle cracked pepper like I did, or use paprika, herbs, etc...that is up to you.
- Thats it!
- In a tall jar, like a mason jar, add the 1 cup of oil, 1 egg and lemon juice. Once the egg has settled at the bottom (about 1 minute), take your emulsion blender and run it for about 1 minute.
- Add in the salt and pepper, then blend again for 1-2 minutes until thick.
- Store in the fridge. Very easy, and much healthier!